Leadership is about building relationships, and the key to a good relationship is trust. This is true in any relationship – family, friendship, organizational leadership, etc.
In the middle of this interview, Lieutenant General Michael Flynn quickly summarizes fives keys to building relational trust. You can see the keys below, along with a brief comment about what each one looks like.
- Integrity: do the right thing, even when it costs you.
- Compassion: make sure people know you care.
- Competence: get the right job done in the right way.
- Consistency: strive to live predictably according to your values.
- Empathy: take time to listen and understand both sides.